Sometimes, we really need something sweet and decadent to make our days better. After scouring the internet for something delicious and cheap, poke cakes really stood out as something yummy and not nearly as expensive as a store-bought cake.
To keep the cost down, skip the condensed milk and stick with some delicious, creamy instant pudding.
- 1 box Baker’s Corner, Devil’s Food Cake Mix 18.5 Ounce – $0.69
- 1/2 cup Carlini Vegetable Oil 48 Oz. – $1.59
- 2 Gold Hen Grade A Eggs – $0.69
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Friendly Farms Sour Cream 16 Oz. – $0.99
- 1 box Mr. Pudding Instant Pudding Mix, Chocolate – $0.29
- 1 1/2 Cup Almond Milk original, vanilla or unsweetened 64 oz. – $2.49
- 1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream – $1.39
- 1/2 Cup Baker’s Corner Baking Cocoa 18.6 Oz – $1.49
- Chocolate Syrup to Drizzle – $0.99
- 1/2 Cup of Baker’s Corner Chocolate Chips 12 Oz. – $0.99
Total – $11.60 – 12 servings – $0.97 per slice
Of course, several of these items should be a staple in the pantry and that should also off-set the cost.
Combine cake mix, eggs, water, oil, and sour cream in a bowl and mix until combined. Bake cake in the oven according to the directions on the box. (350 degrees for 25-28 minutes). Once completely baked, use the back of a wooden spoon or dowel rod to poke holes in the cake. Add milk to pudding mix and pour on the cake once it is cool. Put the cake in the refrigerator for 1 hours to chill. Once the pudding has set, whip heavy cream wit a mixer for several minutes. Once it starts to set, add the baking cocoa and continue to whip until it firmly sets up. Spread on the cake and drizzle with chocolate syrup and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
Add a scoop of ice cream and dig in!