Mondays aren’t always for meatloaf but these days the kids are always asking for one recipe in particular. What they don’t know is that they are eating a TON of Vegetables. This moist, delicious recipe freezes quite well and is exceptionally easy to double and keep for another time. Or make the recipe early and pop it in the oven straight from the freezer for about an hour and a half. Or put it in a cupcake tin and make several little meatloaves to eat small portions when needed.
The prices listed are for Aldi, February 2017.
- 1 pound lean ground beef ($2.69) (There is currently a sale that has the beef at $1.72 lb with a minimum purchase of 5 lbs.)
- 1 pound ground turkey ($1.89)
- 2 eggs ($1.29) (Prices vary every week. Currently $0.79)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery ($0.69)
- 3/4 cup regular rolled oats ($2.39)
- 1/2 cup almond milk ($1.99)
- 3/4 cup ketchup ($1.29) (This is one thing we can not concede on in my family. Ketchup is Heinz and costs our family $2.69)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (or one whole, small onion) ($0.99 per bag)
- 1 finely chopped green bell pepper ($0.99 for 3)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms ($0.99)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley ($0.69)
- 2/3 teaspoon salt ($0.39)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (whole garlic $0.89, minced in a jar $1.99)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper ($1.99)
Total Prices – $19.39 – 8 Servings – $2.42
A lot of these prices are for more than what is needed and some of the items are staples that will already be bought. Most blogs don’t include the pantry. This makes it seem like the meal costs less than it actually does. If buying everything mentioned here, this recipe can make 3 time the amount of meatloaf mentioned. Making it 24 servings for just under $20.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Combine almond milk, ketchup, onion, green pepper, parsley, minced garlic, and black pepper in a blender and blend until a smooth liquid.
- Combine ground beef, ground turkey, eggs, rolled oats, and milk mixture in a bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer mixture into a 5×9-inch loaf pan. If the recipe is doubled, place in a 13X9-inch pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the meatloaf reads at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C), about 2 hours. Meatloaf may still look pink inside due to ketchup.
- Pair with mashed potatoes and turkey gravy for a delicious meal.