Eggs are an amazing source of protein and can be made so many different ways. Along with protein, they are rich in many vitamins like A, B, and even Iron.
This week, Dillon’s (Kroger stores) has a great sale on eggs. A dozen for $0.79 and no limits!
In honor of the sale and the 6 dozen eggs I now have in my fridge, here are some great budget friendly meals you can make with ingredients bought while picking up the eggs.
Dillon’s ad 2/15/17 to 2/21/17
Delicious eggs in a rich tomato sauce served on toasted bread for breakfast or delicate angel hair pasta for a light lunch.
2 Tbsp Cooking Oil – $1.59
1 Medium Onion – 2 for $5 (ad price)
2 Cloves Garlic, minced – whole garlic $0.89, minced in a jar $1.99
2 Cups Marinara Sauce – $1.29 (ad price)
4 Large Eggs – $0.79
1 Tsp Basil -$2.19
1 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese – $2.24
1/4 Tsp Black Pepper – $1.99
4 Slices Bread (any choice), toasted (Breakfast) – Wheat Bread $1 (ad price)
2 Servings of Angel Hair Pasta, cooked (Dinner) – $1.94
2 Slices of Bacon, crumbled – Black Label Hormel, 1 pound package $3.99 (ad price)
Total – $20.41 – Serving 2 eggs – $3.40
A lot of these prices are for more than what is needed and some of the items are staples that will already be bought. Most blogs don’t include the pantry. This makes it seem like the meal costs less than it actually does. If buying everything mentioned here, this recipe can make 3 times the amount of eggs mentioned. Making it 6 servings for just under $20.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and bacon. Cook 4 to 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add marinara simmer.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl, making sure not to break the yolk. Make a well in the sauce roughly large enough to hold the egg and pour it in so that the yolk and most of the white is contained. Repeat with the remaining eggs, evenly spacing them around the pan.
- Sprinkle the sauce with basil; cover and cook 6 to 8 minutes for medium-set.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle with Parmesan and pepper.
- To serve, top each slice of toasted bread with an egg and sauce. Serve immediately.